Why is there so much interest in the ThermaCell mosquito repellent appliance? Well, imagine a product that is essentially a personal and portable force field against mosquitoes.
No greasy, stinky, sticky, smelly stuff to rub on or spray on. It’s the mosquitoes that are made uncomfortable, not you.
Imagine a mosquito repellent that doesn’t have to be reapplied every time you go for a swim, or whenever you work up a bit of a sweat.
Imagine a mosquito repellent product that is perfectly safe for people of all ages, even the youngest of babies. A product that carries none of the potential risks of other mosquito repellents. A product that is completely DEET free, and yet offers the impressive mosquito repellent performance of DEET.
That’s a pretty impressive product we’ve imagined, but in fact, it’s not imaginary at all. Because the product we’ve imagined perfectly describes the claimed benefits of the ThermaCell mosquito repellent appliance.
But are these claims a fantasy, or is the ThermaCell the real deal?
A Technological Breakthrough in Mosquito Protection
In fact, the ThermaCell mosquito repellent appliance is the real deal; it’s all it claims to be.
ThermaCells work by using butane to heat a small mat that is saturated with a mosquito repellent called Allethrin. Harmless to people and animals, Allethrin is based upon a pesticide that grows naturally in chrysanthemum flowers.
As the Allethrin-impregnated mat is heated, it gives off vapors that are quite repellent to mosquitoes, but hardly noticeable to people. The Allethrin vapor also repels other biting insects such as no-see ums and black flies.
A growing body of awards, studies and customer testimonials show that the ThermaCell mosquito repellent appliance delivers on its claims of offering outstanding mosquito protection:
- ThermaCell was selected by the Good Housekeeping Research Institute as the #1 tabletop mosquito repellent.
- Tests conducted by the U.S. Army showed ThermaCell to offer 97% protection against malaria-ridden mosquito infestations in Costa Rica. ThermaCell is now in use by the U.S. Armed Forces in locations around the world, including Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan.
- Read through some of the customer reviews for ThermaCell (link opens to customer review page for ThermaCell at Amazon.com) and you’ll find lots of happy and impressed customers. Outdoor enthusiasts, in particular, who venture into mosquito infested wilderness on hunting, fishing or camping expeditions have found ThermaCell to be a Godsend!
ThermaCell Isn’t Perfect – But It’s Very Good
No product is without flaws and limitations, and ThermaCell is no exception. If you’re considering purchasing this product, here are a few things to be aware of:
- The ThermaCell ‘force field,’ while very effective, covers only a relatively small area per unit of 225 square feet (15’ x 15’).
- While ThermaCell units are priced quite reasonably at under $30, you do have to buy replacement butane cartridges and repellent mats. Each butane cartridge lasts for about 9 to 12 hours, and each repellent mat lasts for 3 to 4 hours. A Value Pack containing 4 butane cartridges and 12 repellent mats costs about $22. (Stated prices are at the time of this writing. Click to see current pricing.)
- If you study the customer reviews for this product, about the only consistent complaint you’ll find is an occasional customer who had problems with the butane igniter (you just press a button to ignite). Just something to be aware of. Product redesigns and improvements for 2011 have hopefully addressed the issue.
- If you live at an elevation of 4500 feet or more (above sea level), or plan to use the ThermaCell in such a setting, you may have problems with the product. The manufacturer states that the product is difficult to start and run at higher elevations, and recommends that it be used only at elevations of under 4500 feet.
Remember that the ThermaCell won’t kill a single mosquito – it only repels them. If you’re not plagued with lots of mosquitoes where you live, the ThermaCell might be all you need.
But if you have BIG mosquito problems, the ThermaCell combined with a mosquito-killing product such as the Mosquito Magnet might allow you to enjoy the out-of-doors in virtual mosquito-free bliss.
There are several different ThermaCell models, and all are currently available at around $25 or less at Amazon.com.